Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking hives today and I got to thinking about an ideal hive configuration. I have read that hive configurations are different for different areas.

The man I bought my first hives from used a single deep brood nest and medium honey supers. My grandfathers used a deep (maybe 2, not sure) for brood and shallow supers for honey.

I try to use mediums for everything.

I feel like a single deep for brood with shallows or mediums for honey would simplify things.

Is there an ideal hive configuration?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I use all deeps that's all I have ever used.

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
Yes most certainly. It would be the one an individual is most comfortable with That suits his climate best.
agreed. still trying to figure it out and i've learned more this year. i am currently using a single deep and mediums on my honey producers and all deeps on my bee producers.

i hope to start one or two all mediums this year to see how that works out.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I feel like a single deep for brood with shallows or mediums for honey would simplify things.

No.

A single deep for brood would have been a disaster for my hives in Maine and probably here in Northeast PA. Might be perfect for you in your locale.

I'llbeedan has it right.

Wayne

·
Registered
394 Posts
I run all 8 frame mediums. It does mean more equipment and expense, but the lighter boxes and the ability to move frames around to where ever is a big plus.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was checking hives today and I got to thinking about an ideal hive configuration. I have read that hive configurations are different for different areas.

The man I bought my first hives from used a single deep brood nest and medium honey supers. My grandfathers used a deep (maybe 2, not sure) for brood and shallow supers for honey.

I try to use mediums for everything.

Actually, it sounds like you have a pretty good set-up. I started with deeps and then got a deal on some westerns for honey supers. Now I have a little of both. I still use deeps on the bottom, but could I start again, I would use all mediums. The simple reason for this is that you can move frames around universally if you need to. You just don't have that flexibility when you have mixed equipment.... the lighter weight that mediums carry are also a gift on your back.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It ALL has to do with your region. Down here, a single deep, or two mediums for brood...one, ,two, three medium supers depending on the flow and time of year. VERY regional. Been very happy with my set-ups, but it doesn't mean they will work for GA, or elsewhere. Time will tell you the answer. Bottom line, in my desire to go for all the same sized equipment, my new hives are in double mediums for brood, and mediums for supers. My older hives are single deeps for brood, and mediums for supers. Nobody has out performed the other, so I don't think the bees care. It does make MY life easier though to be able to supplement and such with all mediums. HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts