Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that has a strong population of bees but no brood or queen. A few weeks ago, I added a frame of brood and eggs from an adjacent hive and when I checked yesterday, no queen cell. Today I opened it up again and noticed some drone cells but went ahead and added two more frames of very young brood and eggs to give them a second chance to make their own queen. If there are laying workers in this hive would that prevent them from making queen cells? If no, why didn't they do so the first time. and if yes, what do I do about the laying workers? What do I do if they don't make a queen this time? I figured I could combine with another hive to increase population during the flow and do a split later in the summer?? I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, just read the post by Carl F and it is very similar to my questions so sorry to be redundant. Still, will a combine work?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my understanding that if you have a laying worker you might have problems requeening. Anyway, I am trying to keep the same genetics as an existing hive and that is why I'm trying the frame with eggs first. However, a laying worker might cause problems there also, according to others on this forum.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you have laying workers don't try to intro a new queen. You can try either a shake out, or newspaper combine. I prefer to combine but there are many who chose the shake out as it has worked for them...good luck:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts