Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing some research on amino acids in regards to bee food and health, I have run across some of the amino acids, listed with a "L" in front of the listing. Instead of isoleucine or iso-leucine, its listed as "L-isoleucine". What does this "L" represent? Does it distinguish between food grade, and something like laboaratory grade, pharmacutical grade?

I know, I know. Some were asleep during chemistry 101. I was probably awake....just looking at that hot cutie in front of me with that short skirt.... :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
L means levo and D is dextro The 2 isomers are mirror images of each other. the one with left handed arrangement of atoms around a central axis is 'L' like wise right handed arrangement is called 'D'
L is the metabolically active isomer so we are mainly concerned with 'L'

after this that cute girl in front of Bjorn bent down to pick up her pencil...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sometimes the nomenclature used is (R) as in rectus or (S) as in sinister, which are the same as (D) dexter and (L) levo respectively. Biological chemistry is often steriospecific, meaning that one isomer participates in a chemical reactions to the exclusion of the other isomer. Most non-enzymatic reations are chiral mixtures of the two. In general, it is something that only pharmocologists and biochemists need to worry about.

·
Registered
335 Posts
<after this that cute girl in front of Bjorn bent down to pick up her pencil...>

You owe me a keyboard cleaning for that one.....I've now got sticky Dr.Pepper sprayed all over the place.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>just looking at that hot cutie in front of me with that short skirt.

I married the hot cutie,
only reason I passed.

[ February 12, 2007, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Ian ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Back in 1848 a young beginning Chemistry student in France, Louis Pastuer, did a routine student experiment making tartaric acid crystals. When examining them under the microscope he observed something no one before had paid any attention to. There were left and right handed versions of the crystals. He took some tweezers and sorted all the right handed ones into one pile and the left handed ones into another pile. He then proved they bent light differently and they acted differently chemically. Chiral molecules had been discovered. And Louis Pastuer had been noticed.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Wow! And my friend says that beekeepers must be a little empty upstairs to take up a hobby that has so many stinger equipped insects after you. I'm going to have to copy this thread to him to show him that not all beekeepers are as light headed as I am.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I'm glad you posted this question, because just yesterday, I was wondering the same thing. Honestly

The difference is that I was reading the label on a bottle of lotion, not pondering health and nutrition, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts