Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently asked about fanning outside the hive, and from the comments I received, it seems the girls were mostly drying out honey/cooling off in the heat and humidity. Today I took a couple of photos of one of my hives, and the thing I found interesting was the girls lined up head-down on the side of the hive, especially along the crack where the deep meets the bottom board.

So, why are the fanning on the SIDE of the hive, especially along that join? Air currents I don't understand? Confusion? They like the shade? :) They all seem pretty happy to me... am I right? It's not hot at all today, 21C and sunny (70F for you non-metric types!)

Natalie

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think they want to do their part but there is no more room at the front door.:D Nice Picts! I wish it was 70 here, we are going to be in the 100s the next week or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense! Poor little things, they try so hard.

Btw, Nasalsponge, I think you have quite possibly the VERY best user name on the forum! I've thought that for some time now. Very memorable. :cool:

Natalie

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Thanks for having a sense of humor:)

I just need to find someone that thinks Rick 1456 is "memorable"

alas such is my quest

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1456... wasn't that the year Columbus discovered America? Oh wait, never mind, that was another year. Not to worry, your moniker is now engraved in my brain! :D

So, is the consensus that the girls are just doing their best to fan the hive from the side, not quite understanding that the breeze probably isn't getting in from that angle? it's fantastic, the way they neatly line up and go at it! Awesome little things.

I'm pretty thrilled that I may harvest actual honey this year, rather than two hives of dead bees.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Caberwife,,,,I'm thrilled to be etched,,,since I now know you have a sense of humor,,,I can tell you my first impression of what your "sexy girls" were doing,,,
Is trying to clean that shade of teal off the hive so you would paint it something more acceptable to their sexy nature:D:D:D:D
However,,,nothing Barbie and Ken

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
It looks like most of them are washboarding;
especially those on the side of the hive. Their wings do not show the blur/fuzziness of motion that would indicate fanning. They mght need some help with ventilation; a shim [1/8 to 1/4 inch] under the cover maybe.

Washboarding:
"Worker honey bees exhibit a “group” activity known as rocking or washboarding on the internal and external surfaces of the hive. This behavior is believed to be associated with general cleaning activities but virtually nothing is known as to the age of worker engaged in the behavior, under what circumstances workers washboard and the function of the behavior. Washboarding behavior appears to be age dependant with bees most likely to washboard between 15-25 days of age. Washboarding increases during the day and peaks through the afternoon. Workers may respond to rough texture and washboard more on those surfaces. The function of this behavior remains to be elucidated."
>
http://www.beesource.com/resources/elements-of-beekeeping/beekeeping-glossary/

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Caberwife,,,,I'm thrilled to be etched,,,since I now know you have a sense of humor,,,I can tell you my first impression of what your "sexy girls" were doing,,,
Is trying to clean that shade of teal off the hive so you would paint it something more acceptable to their sexy nature
However,,,nothing Barbie and Ken

Rick SoMd
Just so you know, I was NOT responsible for that atrocious green colour!

What about pink? Would the girls like pink for the hive? :eek: Definitely too Barbie.

Natalie

PS: Don't worry about the humour, I'm tough to offend in that regard!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like most of them are washboarding;
especially those on the side of the hive. Their wings do not show the blur/fuzziness of motion that would indicate fanning. They mght need some help with ventilation; a shim [1/8 to 1/4 inch] under the cover maybe.

http://www.beesource.com/resources/elements-of-beekeeping/beekeeping-glossary/

Thanks, Oldbee! I'll prop up the lid some more. My other hive is definitely better ventilated, and I see less of this sort of thing going on!

Natalie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts