Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The huge colony that I took from Stockton has only been in the hive for 2 weeks. They had been in the wall for only a couple of days when I extracted them and were so big, I had to use 2 hive bodies to get all the bees in. So with 2 deep hives full of bees and 10 frames in each box, I thought about just splitting them right there and giving one a frame of brood to raise a queen. At first, this hive appeared a lot more aggressive than my other hives too, that did concern me, but I figured maybe they were just mad cause I just evicted them from their last place. I went to check on them yesterday. Smoked them a little less than properly to see how they would do, they did great. The only problem I had with the inspection was that all 20 frames were drawn out and full of everything we want to see except for the 6 swarm cells on the bottom of 5 frames. Two weeks and they filled out and up 2 deep hives? Dang, should have split them when I had a chance. After getting some new rubber on my GSX-R, I will be going out and finding the queen of the hive and putting her in a new hive and maybe do 1 more split out of that hive to catch up with it. I guess I better check that hive in a week to see if I need another body placed on it. Anyone else ever have something like this?

Craig

·
Registered
850 Posts
The Two weeks and they filled out and up 2 deep hives?

Craig
A one year old daughter queen from Mike Palmer/French Hill Apiaries threw a big swarm at the end of April. Caught the marked queen in the swarm. I put it in a 10 frame deep and added a 2nd deep. 15 days later, it has drawn out about 17 of 20 frames (and 10 of those are plastic foundation since I ran out of frames!) I am going to throw a honey super on and see what happens!

·
Registered
27 Posts
" Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
What is a GSX-R?

Suzuki Motorcycle. "

A very fast Suzuki Motorcycle.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts