Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to make some lip balm and got down my rendered wax. The uncovered plastic container they were in was covered with this wax dust stuff. The rendered wax cakes had all these fissures with wax dust at the edges of the fissures.

Fissures
Wax fissures.jpg

Wax dust
Wax dust.jpg

What's going on?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wax moth if I had to guess
But these cakes have been inside and in the cupboard for probably a year. Rendered in the kitchen and put up in the cupboard. We haven't had wax moths inside the house before.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My ziploc bag of propolis I've harvested had 4 holes in it and I found a live wax moth worm inside! Squashed the bugger flat. Also combed through propolis and found a couple other cocoons. The whole bag of propolis might get dumped in Everclear now. Let any larva I might have missed get nice and drunk before getting turned into tincture. Dang wax moths. And I thought I didn't have any inside the house.

How do wax moths lay their eggs? Did I potentially bring in some wax moth eggs with the propolis scrapings?

·
Registered
329 Posts
So what is the best way to store wax?

I'm about to render some wax myself. Had moths in some bur comb I left out the other day... crazy stuff!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what is the best way to store wax?
I've got another 5lb block of wax on top of the fridge in the mudroom 20 feet away. It was not affected. I've kept wax indoors with no issue till now. The difference being that I had this wax in the same container as I put my propolis scrapings in. I believe the wax moth eggs came in with the propolis; and everything was in the same cupboard.

I've put the infested wax and infested propolis in the freezer. This should kill off any living organisms. In the future I'll keep my propolis in the freezer a good 48 hours before bringing it inside. I think that will do the trick without me needing to keep all my wax and propolis in sealed containers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts