Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I got 14 packages early in April. We had some really warm days and some cold rainy days, but I didn't think it would be an issue. Last year I reduced the bees, the fall flow just didn't happen, went on vacation for 2 weeks in september and I started feeding and treating too late. So about half the packages I got I'm having issues with the queens or laying workers. They all appeared to start off great. All the foundation was built out to 5.1 or 4.9 last year. With the foundation already built I didn't think I'd need to reduce them again. I would have suspected a bad batch of queens from the supplier, but nobody else is having this issue. Ill see good eggs on some frames, then a few doubles. But a majority of the capped brood is drone. Should I put fresh foundation in and see what happens? Snag some frames from the good hives to try to get them queenright...or just shake and combine with other hives. Opened them up yesterday and they were ANGRY! Even the hives with good brood. Seeing single eggs in cells and them being angry I didn't spend much time looking for a queen, but I didnt see one on the suspect hives. Is there a such thing as a really good laying worker?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
your post is confusing.

They might be new queens just getting the knack of it. I'd leave them alone to sort it out. Until you are sure i would not be shaking or moving them.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Not sure i fully understand, but wondering if you put last years package bees straight onto small cell foundation, meaning it is likely they would have overidden the foundation, so the comb they built would be a mix of some worker cells and some larger cells.

If that is the case you will see some worker brood interspersed with some drone brood, it could look pretty messy. But long as there is some worker brood, you do have a queen in there.

Could you take a few pics of the brood and post them here?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts