Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law just called and said there are bees piled thick on the whole front side of one of my hives. This is a new hive (this year) and they seem to have room in the hive (just put a honey super on last week). He said he see bees coming in from the northwest....not coming out of the hive. Could I possibly have a swarm that is coming in to take this hive over? Is this robbing or is this hive getting ready to swarm?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It sounds like they are bearding in the front. Mine do it even with screen bottom boards for ventalation. They are hot and are helping to cool the hive by getting out of it. They will all go back in in a when they feel like it. Most of the time first year bees do not swarm, but it is not unheard of.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi devdog108,
It's not extremely hot right now (upper 70's). It's cloudy but very humid. Would the humidity cause this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks devdog108. Guess I need to put a shim under the top cover to move a little more air around.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You can, but mine still beard....LOL. Kinda whatever you wanna do. Play with it, thats the fun of beeking...LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts