Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the sixties, most people looked at a beekeeper as eccentric,odd or crazy.:)Last night at our bee club christmas party (76 out of 109 members showed up) our secretary announced that we now have 216 people signed up for our free beekeeping classes in Jan. & Feb. :scratch:Now when they find out your a beekeeper they make you feel like some college professor :D with all the questions they ask and most are very interested and think you know all the answers:s. My question is why all the sudden interest in beekeeping. Jack

·
Registered
508 Posts
Because of all the press the honeybee has been getting in regards to mites, CCD, and their importance in crop pollination. Also, the whole going green and being self sufficient craze is to blame. Plus they are stress relief. In this day and time people want a hobby that reduces stress. The bees do just that for me.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'M IN IT FOR THE MONEY:doh: NOT!! How could you not love it? I find it very interesting, and very challenging. Brent

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only a quarter of them will keep it as a hobby, most of them will quit after they've dropped 2 grand on bees and equipment only to find their hives empty after a cold winter :p. J/k I hope everyone does good it's a great hobby.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is a big movement marching towards 'greener' ways of living: replacing home lawns with vegetable gardens, composting, keeping chickens....and keeping bees.
I'm seeing a LOT of this new interest here where I live too. And even urban beekeeping is taking off in the cities in a big way- in Paris, in NYC (still illegally there but that isnt stopping people).

We just put in a big new veggie garden this summer, replacing some of our useless back lawn. Ate tons of wonderful fresh lettuce, carrots, turnips, radishes, scallions, beets. Putting in blueberries and raspberries next Spring. The fence company told me that their commercial fence jobs took a huge nose dive this year, but that they were being kept way busy by homeowners putting in new vegetable gardens of all sizes.
Next year we hope to have our own honey too! We live on a 1/3 acre lot on the edge of the village.
There is a steady increase in home-kept bees, and that's not going to just go away I think. Next year it will jump a lot more I think. I have several friends already interested now that I have taken the plunge. Some will not last, but still I think it's like 3 steps forward and 2 back kind of thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts