Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have several Traps up and they all look about the same (they are several miles apart)
This one is in our backyard and has been like this for three days. No sign of any pollen being brought in, are these just scout bees?

https://youtu.be/vAJxK37rxcs

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
... or give it a few more days (if you are in no hurry) to see if they are bringing in pollen.

I had a swarm take up residence here three days ago and they just started bringing in a little pollen today.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
A mated swarm queen will take at least three days to start laying again. A virgin swarm queen will take about 7 or 8 days before the first egg is laid. I would give the trap at least a week, then take a look. Pollen probably won't be coming in until eggs are being laid. Never move a swarm trap unless you know the queen is mated or in the box at the time of the move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, yesterday afternoon soon after I made this post all of the bees just disappeared not a single one even curiously scouting it out. I popped the top and no sign there was ever any bees. Slightly disappointed I checked our other traps this morning, low and behold the next closest one was packed and carrying pollen! So two questions:

1st Do I need to let them settle into there new home since its only been a day or two since they moved in?

2nd I read somewhere if your moving a short distance to your hive you should take the swarm a few miles away for a few days before moving to the hive otherwise they will just go back to the place where the swarm trap was. (in this case ~1000')

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input, yesterday afternoon soon after I made this post all of the bees just disappeared not a single one even curiously scouting it out. I popped the top and no sign there was ever any bees. Slightly disappointed I checked our other traps this morning, low and behold the next closest one was packed and carrying pollen! So two questions:

1st Do I need to let them settle into there new home since its only been a day or two since they moved in?

2nd I read somewhere if your moving a short distance to your hive you should take the swarm a few miles away for a few days before moving to the hive otherwise they will just go back to the place where the swarm trap was. (in this case ~1000')

Thank you all for your help!
well the answer is it depends.....
Do you have frames in the trap, if yes then time is your friend, if no then you need to cut out what they make or at some point the trap is filled with comb.

moving,, 3 feet or 3 miles is the jargon I recall. So 1000 feet is not going to work well, the field bees will go back to the old location.
When I have that project , I find a place > 3 miles, for me a different yard , a friend, a relative, etc. Take them there for 3 weeks, can work them and or re hive them there. then take them to the final location later.

I would get them moved asap and put a new trap up there, Or put a new trap up neer there. Often there can be secondary swarms, as early as it is those also would be fine.

GG

·
Registered
6 Posts
well the answer is it depends.....
Do you have frames in the trap, if yes then time is your friend, if no then you need to cut out what they make or at some point the trap is filled with comb.

moving,, 3 feet or 3 miles is the jargon I recall. So 1000 feet is not going to work well, the field bees will go back to the old location.
When I have that project , I find a place > 3 miles, for me a different yard , a friend, a relative, etc. Take them there for 3 weeks, can work them and or re hive them there. then take them to the final location later.

I would get them moved asap and put a new trap up there, Or put a new trap up neer there. Often there can be secondary swarms, as early as it is those also would be fine.
GG
Thanks GG will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: last Thursday night we moved the swarm to their new hive - reduced the entrance to 1" and placed a cypress branch in front. Swapped the swarm trap for an empty one. Lots of orientation flights Friday and the started bringing in pollen by the afternoon. In the evening I went back to gather up the lost souls who made it back to the swarm trap ~100 or so. moved them back to the hive and by Sunday only 1-2 bees still hanging around the swarm tree - we also did a hive inspection, found the queen, found eggs and was surprised to see how much comb they have drawn out! Thanks everyone for your help especially GG!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Way to go, Cdawg.

Congratulations on the swarm catch- you've now joined a very exclusive club. ;)

Best of luck to you in your beekeeping efforts this year.

Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts