Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been rainy and humid, but not hot. Right now it's like 70 degrees but humid. The bees have been at the entrance like this all day. We opened the hive to see what was going on, and my normally passive bees stung my dad and were just very aggressive. Any idea why they'd be acting like this? Could it be because I switched out the sugar water for just plain water in the feeder? If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,185 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

Your photo shows an entrance (Boardman) feeder. While having only water in that style feeder is OK, it is not a good idea to feed syrup that way. Entrance feeders are notorious for initiating robbing (by bees from other than that hive). Once robbing starts, its hard to stop. Your bees may be aggressive because they are getting robbed.

See this post for one option for using those feeders in an alternative manner:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...rs-Feeding-Package-Hive&p=1255709#post1255709

·
Registered
74 Posts
when its over cast and humid, they don't forage much some do most don't, they stay home and are pissy all day. till the weather changes. mine are like that too, i'm in Washington. i've watched mine; all 6 get grumpy guts and even jump and bicker at all there sisters, its really funny to watch. anywho that's one reason. and I would stay out of the hive when its that's way. :lookout:

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Some of my hives do that all night. One night I went out at about 2 and noticed that a bunch of moths were flying around near the hive. My thought was that they maybe pack the entrance to make sure no moths can get in.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. As stated above, with my brief experience, it seems that when they just pack the entrance like that, it is a defensive posture, I have seen them killing moths at night like that, and also see them take that stance when there is robbing/attempted robbing taking place. G

·
Registered
779 Posts
How strong is the hive and how long have you had it? Why were you feeding the syrup? No signs of robbing on the landing?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a very defensive hive like that. Every time I go in or near the hive you can bet there going to try running me out of there. always at least one guard bee attacking my head. stung me twice. Also that hive is very hygienic. Always sweeping the porch. My other hive very few on the porch and when I do a inspection they ignore me.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
That looks like an anti-robbing posture almost, either that or just a bunch of bees waiting for the weather to clear. When I'm feeding back spun comb in the yard, some of the nucs take up that posture as I'm sure the robbing attempts for the 1-2 days it takes them to clean up the comb is on the rise in the yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts