Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has damaged the bottom board on this hive. The bees in this hive seem to come and go only out of the corner where this damage is. I read of skunks scratching on a bottom board at night to attract bees to eat -- is that what's going on here? Looks like more than scratching.

Beehive Honeybee Bee Insect Membrane-winged insect Bee Insect Honeybee Membrane-winged insect Wood

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It might be a good idea to purchase or borrow a live trap and see what you come up with before too much more damage is done. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,270 Posts
I don't know what critter it was, but the long scratches to the right of the missing wood certainly look like claw marks. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
That doesn't look like chewing to me. By the looks of the cracks and large splinters it seems as if something fell on it and knocked a chunk of wood off.

I'd say it was a meteorite. It's a better story than a porcupine. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'd set up a game camera and find out what kind of critter is doing that. Then a trap, electric fence or perhaps a sleepless night with the shotgun.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Something has damaged the bottom board on this hive. The bees in this hive seem to come and go only out of the corner where this damage is. I read of skunks scratching on a bottom board at night to attract bees to eat -- is that what's going on here? Looks like more than scratching.
Are there Badgers in your neck of the woods?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts