Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started two hives this spring.

One hive is doing great. Capped brood and honey already in second brood box. Queen verified today.

Second hive.
Nothing much in second brood box.
First brood box. Lots of empty brood cells.
Very little capped brood, half which are drone cells (very convex on the cap, right?)
No queen cells, but No queen either!
Workers a bit grumpy compared to hive 1. Got my first two stings.

I thought maybe I had egg laying workers, but can see no eggs in the uncapped cells.

Another interesting observation from my last inspection about two weeks ago, the day I put second box on top - queen was on the outside frame. I thought this a bit odd, but I'm a beginner.

Not sure if I had a drone laying queen, or a weak queen, or a queen that was killed by the workers. Would a new package kill a queen if she wasn't performing up to snuff? Two weeks ago, evrything looked fine; capped brood, etc. Progress was a little behind hive 1, but still looked ok except queen being way out on the last frame.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jim:
If you think they are queenless you can take a frame with eggs and brood from the other have and they will make a new queen. It normaly takes more than 2 weeks to have laying workers when you have existing brood.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tnmx.

So, it's that simple? Just drop in a frame of brood from the other hive? Put the frame right in the middle? I suppose I should take off the second box till I get another queen laying.

About how long before I see a new queen?

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jim:
Make sure you have eggs and larva less than 4 day old. It takes around 8 days after the egg is layed for them to cap a queen cell. The queen hatches 8 days after the cell is capped +or - 1 day. The queen will fly off to mate and return. She should be laying in 10-15 days after hatching. It is that simple but do the math. It will take 3-4 weeks to get a new productive queen. If you cand buy a queen $15-$20 . I release her in 3 days and she is normaly laying next day or day after 5 days total. I get new queens both ways, it is up to you.
Marty

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
>So, it's that simple? Just drop in a frame of brood from the other hive?

Yes.

I will quote myself, at the risk of being repititious:

There are few solutions as universal in their application and their
success than adding a frame of open brood every week for three weeks.
It is a virtual panecea for any queen issues. It gives the bees the
pheromones to suppress laying workers. It gives them more workers
coming in during a period where there is no laying queen. It does not
interfere if there is a virgin queen. It gives them the resources to
rear a queen. It is virtually foolproof and does not require finding a
queen or seeing eggs. If you have any issue with queenrightness, no
brood, worried that there is no queen, this is the simple solution that
reuires no worrying, no waiting, no hoping. You just give them what
they need to resolve the situation. If you have any doubts about the
queenrightness of a hive, give them some open brood and sleep well.
Repeat once a week for two more weeks if you still aren't sure. By then
things will be fine.

> Put the frame right in the middle?

Yes.

> I suppose I should take off the second box till I get another queen laying.

If they are 80% full, I'd leave it on as they will draw a lot of comb and collect a lot of nectar while they raise the new queen. They won't be sitting around doing nothing.

?About how long before I see a new queen?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

·
Registered
121 Posts
Michael,

How much does foundation comb size, and natural size affect the bee math? And what size do you assume for yours?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
>How much does foundation comb size, and natural size affect the bee math?

I haven't measured it for the drones. I don't think it makes any difference with queens., and I'm raising queens all the time. Temperature certainly has an effect. 4.9mm I've measrued (and Huber before me) at 19 days from egg to emerged.

> And what size do you assume for yours?

19 days from egg to emerged is what I have measured for mine. I am not assuming. I am measuring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a another situation in which the queen seems to be gone. I am new, hive is about 2 months. Added honey super about a month ago, everything going well. hadn't seen queen but definitely saw lavae until 2 weeks ago. Had a friend help me ck today and NO capped brood, no larvae, just honey, and a million bees. Doesnt' seem that they swarmed becuase so many bees but perhaps. No queen cells either to make a new one...i scraped a few off 3 or 4 weeks ago thinking I should.
Is it too late to buy a new queen and put her in? is that the best solution?
Thanks, Robin

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Never scrape off queen cells. If the hive has already swarmed you doom them to be queenless unless you intervene with a new queen or a frame of eggs so they can make a new queen. If the hive has not swarmed yet, they are going to leave in the near future and killing cells will not stop them. Take the old queen and a couple frames of brood and some stores and start a nuc. This makes the old hive think the queen has swarmed. Let the old hive raise a new queen with the cells.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
To the OP. I think you killed your queen. You see some drone brood left because that takes longer to hatch out. You had capped worker brood at 1 inspection so she was laying and the workers had to of accepted her already.

They probally made an emergency cell out of your dead queens larva so you could have a virgin running around in there. Be careful if you install another queen because she will be killed if you have a virgin in there already.

Add a frame with eggs in it and check that frame 7 days later to see if they build a few queen cells on it. If they don't build cells they have a queen(more than likely).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again to everyone who posted. It was reassuring to some guidance from seasoned experts.

I did as you all suggested and I'll check in 7 days.

If I did kill the queen I certainly didn't mean to. I've been careful to do exactly same thing to both hives at the same time, so I was perplexed to find such a drastic difference this early in the game.

But, now I've had a chance to regroup and take a more optimistic look at the situation. Again I am reminded that unexpected experiences are great learning opportunities.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts