Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to hear the acronyms others use to remember/teach the queen color strategy? These are the two I learned:

When You Requeen Get the Best
and
What?! You Raise Green Bees?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I found this old thread doing an Internet search for such.

I came up with:
When (white-1, 6)
You (yellow-2, 7)
Raise (red-3, 8)
Good (green-4, 9)
Bees (blue-5, 0)

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Some of those colours dont work for me so I dont stay true to protocol. A lot of them seem to shed their makeup in a year.

Would you raise green bees; white, yellow, green, blue

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Oops! I left the red out; didn't notice it till you posted. Yep that is one I dont see very well or green either. Traffic lights a challenge! Hot Pink is ticketyboo though.

So, when a swarm shows up with a queen wearing mauve, what is the swarm catcher to think????

"Oh, those must be Crofter's bees..."

Wayne

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also find the traditional colors a bit subtle to see but love the neon versions that you can get. Painters brand neon pens are $1.97 at a Wally World. Non Toxic and boy does the neon green that I have been using this year show up. Be fore warned that one has to shake the pens for a good five minutes before the first use. I curious how the neon blue will be next year.
Ryan

·
Registered
641 Posts
You've lost me................. :scratch: I've no idea what you're talking about. :s
There is a color-coded system for marking queens according to the year they emerged. For example, queens from years ending in 3 or 8 (1993, 1998, 2013 or 2018) would be marked red.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I mark all of my queens with day-glow orange. I really don't care what year they are, I just want to be able to find them or know if they swarmed and I have a new queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts