Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I need some opinions. Couldn't think of a better place than here for that! :D I started two packages on April 3. I am running a deep and med. for brood chambers for now. I am going to go to all mediums eventually. I live in northern middle TN. The first hive currently has four frames drawn in the medium, so it is fine for now. When I checked my second hive today it had completely drawn the second medium out in about a week and I added another medium(foundationless). Here is the big question. I want more hives but I am wondering if I should leave it til spring, do a walk away split, or split with a queen. Any opinions are more than welcome. If you need anymore info let me know.
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Make a split if they are really strong, not necessarily if they're really busy. I like to split a hive that has more bees than I think they need (I know that's pretty subjective, but you kind of get a feel for it) and they're taking up a lot of space. Around here, I like walkaway's in late spring. Come early summer, I give them a store bought queen. I worry about the summer dearth and the queen getting slow and not building up enough for the fall / winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A "walk a way" .....I am no expert and I have never heard it called that before but I think what he is talking about here is making a split and letting the split raise their own queen. If you split your hive and let's say you leave your queen with one of the splits, you will need to have eggs (three days old or less) in the remaining split so that part of the split can raise their own queen. If you don't have these eggs in the remaining split you will have to buy a queen for that hive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is correct. If you have two brood boxes full of eggs and plenty of bees you put down a bottom board and set the top brood box on top of it. Put covers on both and "walk away". Come back later and make sure both hives have eggs. Probably need to add a new super to both. The only thing holding me up is that I'm not sure that I have enough flow left to build the hives back. They would have to draw foundation for the new supers.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
after the flow, just feed'em till the comb is drawn. good luck,mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts