Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbeek hear,cot a sworm 3 days ago,a huge sworm in 3 bxs,while seting up to put in hive deep they started to excape from the boxes(crapy tape job)sow i just dumped the bxs in with only 6 drawn frames,tonight i peeked into the hive with a small flashlight and saw come from the lid down into the spacess between the frames it goes the length of the lid and about 5.5" down int and between the frames.remember this swarm was huge,and there are sow meny bees i dought ida ben abble to get them all in there with all the frames in the box allready.i plan on going in on sunday,but at this rate of comb production,thers gona be a mess for shure.my thought was to split them with a bot queen. thease are my 1st bees,and being new at this i thought 2 hives would be better for me to handle.i reely dont wanta mess up.ive waited a long time to katch a sworm to get started.
what would you do?:scratch:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Was there only 6 frames total in the deep or 6 drawn and 4 foundation?:scratch: If you only have 6 frames total cut off the comb they have hanging from the lid after you shake the bees from it and fill in the empty space with frames. You may need to add another box if the swarm fills the new single hive body. Swarms are foundation drawing machines normally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are 4 fully drawn foundations and 2 plastic foundations that i got from a friend,i have equip on the way,be hear next wed.will def ad a med supper and fill in the empty spaces asap.think its still gona be a mess,im leaning tords a split.since the sworm i have seems to me to be about 6 times the size of a 3lb pkg.thanks for the reeply.:popcorn:

(NEED ANOTHER BEER TO WASH DOWN THE LAST ONE)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I would not do a split for at least 4 to 5 weeks, that's not quite 2 brood cycles, and in 5 weeks, all the bees that came with the swarm will be dead and it'll be a little smaller than what it is now, and easier to manage. Fill in the empty spaces and cut out the wild comb and tie into frames, when you get your equipment. Then get spare equipment so you can get another swarm!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I agree with Ray, wait before you do a split. You living in Colorado, my guess is you need two deep brood boxes for a colony to survive winter, and maybe even a medium or shallow of honey on top of that. So as soon as they've started drawing the 9th frame of foundation, I'd put the second deep box of foundation on. Be sure to feed them also, because, as mentioned, they want to draw comb! And by feeding them, you're helping them do that. You may decide it's more important to get them ready to survive the upcoming winter, than do a split this year.

When they've got the second brood box drawn out, remove the feeder and put on a super of foundation for honey. And with the size of that swarm, you just might get to harvest some honey for your use this year! Then as you're getting used to them, if you want a second colony for next year, late winter order your queens. Got to order them early to be sure you'll get them when you want them.
Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
two deeps of brood,thats allot.thanks for the edvice,ill take all i can get.i dont wana screwup.:popcorn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts