Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A property manager called me about doing a cut out. Bees in a condo unit, cedar siding, easy to get at, should be a straight foward deal. The kicker is the lawyer for the property is a beek and PM wants me to do the cut out and then give him the bees??!! I balked at the idea and she offered for me to call back Monday after I'd had time to think it over. Now I'm only charging $100 to do cut outs..That's way below market for our area but I do NO repairs. My main goal is increasing my beeyards. Should I charge more to cover for the loss of the bees and do the cut out for the experince and to keep my name out there? Or just take a pass? The propert manager got my name from a pest control guy that has been refering people to me like crazy, 4 referals in 3 days, and I don't want to blow that either. The pest control guy just started sending folks to me this week...don't want to let him down, but I'm a little hacked about not getting the bees. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
No way Lick.......If he/she is a true beek, then they can do the cutout. Let that beek know your goal, and also let them know that you have no desire to do a cutout only to lose what you are after.....if so, double the price, that way you can buyu a Nuc to replace it...btw, where is it and dangit, send me some..>LOL

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Sell him the bees. Just say your rate is predicated on you taking possession of the comb, honey, and bees. Or have him help; I've mentored a couple guys on removals. An extra pair of hands is a big help. Trade him labor for bees.

If it were me (which was your question) I'd walk away unless I had already met and liked him... property company's attorneys being involved in you 1) cutting into their property and 2) arousing a bunch of defensive bees kinda give me the willies. Or maybe "won't-ies".

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL dev...it's out by the lake. I had a guy wanted me to do a cut out in Monticello on Monday, was going to ask if you wanted to come with..but he got someone else. I guess even at $100 it was too much. This one pest control guy has been my only really good source, and even at that has only resulted in one hive. I thought with as much as I had advertised I'd be covered up in bees by now. Maybe just a slow start to the swarm season, maybe just a lot of beeks looking? idk My swarm traps have been a bust so far too 0 for 6

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, I would charge the 100 bucks to the property owner and I would tell the attorney that the bees will cost her 100 bucks and she supplies the box to put them in, if she wants the comb, that will be another 100 bucks and again she would need to provide the containers to put it in....I wouldn't be charging her for the bees or comb, but for having to deal with an attorney.

You can always tell how cold it is outside by how deep your attorney has his/her hands in your pockets.:lpf:

Blueline

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I am about 20 minutes from good ol'e Monticello.......leave the traps out. I think we are just getting started really....and I'd walk...

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
With a lawyer involved I would most likely pass, or you could meet with him at the property and talk with him. Sometimes a face to face will reveal their true self. Ask if he wants to help.

If you do all of the work (or he helps) and he keeps the bees charge accordingly. I have never seen a lawyer do any labor for free.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Idk...the attorney being involved makes me nervous. I think I'd tell them I am just booked and couldn't do the cutout.

You know why sharks don't bite attorneys? Professional courtesy.:applause:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would a) more than double my price to cover the cost of the loss of the bees, wax, and any honey that might be in there.
b) Say, yes, the atty can have the bees, if he's help me remove them and provide his own equipment. Are you sure he even wants them?
c) I might strike a deal where the atty gets the bees, but I get any honey and remaining wax.

The PM's response, and atty's response, would tell me whether or not I wanted to take a walk... quite an iffy situation.
Let us know how it turns out, ok?
Steven

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you're doing this as a business to get bee's, then in order to keep your name out there, up the price to around $175 and they supply the box to put the bee's ect. in.

sometimes you have to bend a little to get a little. if you walk from this one, it's possible it may affect your referral rate.

loosing the bee's on one job isn't to bad if it has the potential of scoring other jobs where you keep the bee's.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with the charging more if you do it, but disagree with the concern about losing the referrals. I am sure if he explained to the pest guy what the issue was, I think he'd understand. There's gotta be something in it for you, otherwise what's the point? The PM and the lawyer are not friends of yours, so it's not like you're doing for a friend to be helpful. Get paid or walk away. Beside that, getting the bees are a part of the adventure.

JMTCW
Craig

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what I'm going to tell the PM when I call her back Monday morning: I am doing cut outs to add bees to my apiary. If the lawyer wants the bees then my price to do the cut out is $300 and he needs to supply the boxes and frames and be there to help. If I get the bees, $100.

Seems fair. The business part of me still wants to pass on the deal, but the beek in me wants to see that colony even if I don't get to keep them! I'll post what happens.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good plan. Just schedule it for the week day and starting in the morning..........he will never show is my bet.

G3

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am curious as to whom you are dealing with; owner or attorney. If owner, it seems rather simple and a matter of economics (therefore probably you are dealing with the attorney). If dealing with the attorney there appears to be an ethical issue - the attorney's not yours. It seems that the attorney is no longer doing what is best for his/her client but for himself/herself which, of course, is not proper. Your idea of pricing with or without the bees is good. Get it in writing: if you get the bees price is x if the attorney gets the bees the price is 2x or whatever. Just my opinion on this and definitely not legal advice.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Another way of looking at it. Its nice to have a lawyer in you're back pocket. Offer to help the lawyer do the cutout, work with him, & let him have the bees.

Free legal advise can come in handy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's what I'm going to tell the PM when I call her back Monday morning: I am doing cut outs to add bees to my apiary. If the lawyer wants the bees then my price to do the cut out is $300 and he needs to supply the boxes and frames and be there to help. If I get the bees, $100.
Seems like a rather steep increase considering you can get a package of bees for between $75 and $90.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts