Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I split my hive around the 6th of March. I checkerboarded the big hive, broke up the brrod nest a bit as they were REALLY strong. I made a Nuc, and put 4 frames in it from the other hive with various stages Larvae, some already capped and ready to hatch. I checked on them last week, and they looked strong. There were 8 queen cups with Larvae in the Nuc, so I took a frame from them that had 3 cups and made up another Nuc, and added some frames and bees again from the big hive. The big hive is still really strong BTW. They have already filled out the foundation and the queen is laying eggs in all 6 frames that were pulled. Anyway, I checked my Nucs today and it looks like the first Nuc has 2 queen cells now, and a third that is close to being sealed. The 2nd Nuc, which is about 8 days behind the 1st, doesnt look like they have made much movement on the cups that were in there. The Larvae is still in royal Jelly, but they havent sealed any. They also looked hungry, i saw no nectar yet, but they are bringing in Pollen heavily, so I gave them another frame from the big hive today that had capped honey and again, larvae in different stages.....

Ok now to my question: Should I or would you cut out one of the queen cells and place it in Nuc 2? Like I said, they have 3, 2 which are already sealed....OR, leavem them alone and let them finish making their own queen. Advice appreciated please...this is my first split...

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/devildog108/Bees/Queen Cells/

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds like everything is normal with the splits. If there was something wrong with the open queen cells the bees would clean them out. I would wait at least 14 days but 21 days would be better before messing with either one of them.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Cutting out a queen cell to make another nuc is totally up to you, what you want with your bees. If you are wanting the increase, then yes you can do that. Make up a nuc with a frame of older brood and frame or two of sealed brood and a couple frames of nectar, shake in a frame or two of bees, and add in the queen cell.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see Ray if you had been on the chat lately I would have known that..LOL....Thanks for the advice. I think im gonna watch Nuc 2 and see if they finish up the 2 cups with larvae in them for now

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Hey Dog,

I've never been one to be in the house in late afternoon and early evening. It's my favorite time of day and I'm usually outside till after sunset. So, is why I'm not in chat so much now as the time has been changed on us once again.

I see what you mean, I missed what you were saying the first time. Sure, I'd cut a good cell at and give to the other nuc, as it would shorten the time it will be down without brood production.

Yes, you're doing it just right, rob from the large hive to strengthen your nucs when needed. BTW, rob frames of open nectar for feed, not sealed honey. Bees eat the open nectar, they have to de-cap and thin down honey to consume, and usually mating nucs don't have large field force bees.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought the Yota Brook.......LOL.....Ray, I did go ahead and add some open enctar as well. I thought I probably should, so now they have both. Honey and nectar/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts