Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in an e-mail http://www.breat.eu/
Huge machine - no idea how I will fit this into my beehouse:)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I got this in an e-mail http://www.breat.eu/
Huge machine - no idea how I will fit this into my beehouse:)
I suspect you need about a million dollars to purchase that machine before you would need a bigger beehouse. That looks like a serious pulled foundation creating machine though. We will have to see if predrawn wax foundation comes out from some of the big suppliers in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just think a endless supply of drawn comb at your fingertips whenever you need it !!! I always wondered why this hasn't been available with the technology we have today , but never thought it would take a machine that big to make it .

·
Registered
343 Posts
We already have wax 3D printers, I’m amazed these aren’t already being made here. Then again, I don’t know much about 3D printing, maybe it does take this waximizer 10trillion to get it done.

Only thing, if we are recycling the entire comb now, it closes the loop even more for beeswax. Wax contaminates will probably increase.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We already have wax 3D printers, I’m amazed these aren’t already being made here. Then again, I don’t know much about 3D printing, maybe it does take this waximizer 10trillion to get it done.

Only thing, if we are recycling the entire comb now, it closes the loop even more for beeswax. Wax contaminates will probably increase.
3D printers are very versatile and can make a lot of nice things but not very practical for production imho. More for prototypes and maybe tens of parts. I have a print that has been running for two days right now.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
3D printers are very versatile and can make a lot of nice things but not very practical for production imho. More for prototypes and maybe tens of parts. I have print that has been running for two days right now.
3d printing parts for production depends on the application and the volume for production. One of the new jet engines (on a commercial jet) uses 3D printed fuel injectors/nozzles. I tried 3d printing foundation (with PETG) last year, but the bees didn't seem to like it very much after I waxed it.

I think the more interesting thing with this is to see if it is commercially viable. I am not sure if shipping pre drawn wax foundation will work well due to the comb being fragile and shipping being a abusive environment. I know one common R&D test is a shipping test to see what breaks off in shipping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting that you chose PETG. It is certainly easy to print but so is PLA, the so-called plant based plastic that is more bio-degradable. I wonder if the type of polymer would make a difference to the bees. Did you print it horizontally or vertically?

·
Registered
12 Posts

agreed

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Interesting that you chose PETG. It is certainly easy to print but so is PLA, the so-called plant based plastic that is more bio-degradable. I wonder if the type of polymer would make a difference to the bees. Did you print it horizontally or vertically?
I printed the foundation horizontally in 2 parts. I went with PETG because you can find good grade versions and it is what is used in pop bottles. I have my 3D printer in an enclosure that vents outside so I do not have any fumes to worry about. For most stuff I usually run ABS, but it is not food grade. It did take several hours to print one sheet of foundation. If memory serves me right PLA can also absorb water which seemed like a bad idea for a beehive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts