Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You set up a Deep bottom and a Med super with 2/1 sugar syrup in a spot where you want to keep the hive. (EDIT: just a little syrup, like 1/4 cup on a thin board or something)
What would be the chances that you could catch a swarm that way?

Curious if a scout would say " Gee Wiz not only a clean home but a refrigerator to boot ! "
:lpf: Ok 2nd part was semi joking.

I am a bit bored here today, I just heard that we are suppose to get snow here tonight :( And 60º on Sunday :pinch:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It’s said that setting up a swarm box w/ feed is not a good idea as any scout bees would be turned off by the presence of robbers hanging about. But on the other hand, scout bees are old foragers.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but then wouldn't the scent of the syrup be an attractant ?
I'm not talking a big feeder, just a little to entice. I should have been more clear.
Then robbers wouldn't be there as there isn't really enough for that many or not enough to cause a frenzy ?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Linda, sugar syrup does not really have a scent unless you add it. Just use the LGO or Swarm Commander, or both. That is all you need, along with a decent location. Of course, a used box and some old drawn comb really help, but they are not absolutely necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts