Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the hive just to have a peek to see what I could see and low and behold I saw a bee with some pollen in her basket. What in the heck could be in bloom this time of the year in upstate NY?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi....I'm only a few miles from you, remember?
Crocuses are blooming right now in our yard. They have bright orange-yellow pollen.

Actually, No1cowboy, that's a report for the new york city area, which is quite a bit warmer and often about 2 weeks ahead of where Dieseltrac and I live.
Here is a report for our area:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/weather/12037?type=Tree
HOWEVER, i can say that the maples and ashes here are definitely NOT blooming yet. I think stuff is going to start happening maybe this weekend though- we have several 50F sunny days going on right now.
But today?- the trees are totally bare and not even daffodils yet...so far all I see is crocus. Oh, I did see some pussy willow branches blooming- but they were cut branches, so maybe they were forced, not sure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think it is pussy willow here on the NY/PA border. Very small amounts seen today for the first time. No crocus or planted flowers around here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pollen that I've seen so far looks an off white color almost grayish. Any Idea what the source might be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just across the border and we have colts foot blooming along with the maples. Getting a mix of colours coming in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a huge tree, which is not a maple (is it an ash ?) and it is blooming !Some of the flowers (?) are reddish color and some are regular greenish/yellowish (I'll have to look through my binoculars closer), and the bees are busy ! The willow will start blooming soon too.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Karu, that sounds exactly like my silver maples. They bloom before anything else, at least in my climate. Some have red flowers (female flowers) and some are greenish/yellow - male flowers, those are the pollen producing anthers that make them yellow/fuzzy-ish.

Rick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rick, thanks for the tip, I am glad to have this tree !

Going off topic, I was puzzled in a late fall when I found some yellow flowers on the edge of the woods and bees were all over them. This is not a golden rod, the plant is shorter, but the flowers are also small and the cluster is round unlike golden rods which is elongated. Does anybody know what it is ? Too bad I did not take any pictures.

·
Banned
206 Posts
So far here... nothing... The pussy willows are just coming out, as well as the other willows, Soft maple is budding but i have seen no bees in it.... I have seen one lone flower in the lawn. Its supposed to be sunny and in the 50's today so I am hoping that changes! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Checked a hive yesterday and the bees were bringing in a lot of light yellow
pollen-better flow than periods last year. I think it must be maple.

·
Registered
89 Posts
im in the elira ny area and they have been bringing in good amounts of pale yellow almost tannish white pollen for a few days now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts