Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, bees build hexagons with the apex in the vertical orientation; up and down, and flat sides on either side.

What will they do if you put them on foundation that has been turned 90° so the apex is to the right and left and the flat side is on top and bottom?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Laurie had a post here years back kinda like this. She would cut her plastic foundations in half, and put one piece in each frame. Then cut out the comb honey of the sides or cull drone brood.

Anyway, she had one frame that she noticed never had brood in it. Only honey. Finally noticed she had rotated the foundation 90 degrees. I have often wondered if that would be so effective at keeping brood out of supers.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
When they use Ukrainian frame in Russia/Ukraine, they just use the standard Dadant foundation turned 90 degrees.
No one ever complained of bees having no brood.
Somehow they still have bees, while doing it ALL wrong.
:)

Here is a good video of a guy flipping the Dadant frames into Ukrainian hive (and vs. versa).
It works and I would not sweat it. I have done it many times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GrA6vk6tk

Besides, they don't build hexagons anyway.
They build all kinds of shapes oriented in many different ways if you let them.
They don't care to keep proper apexes on anything as top bar keepers will confirm.
SmallCell-TBH.jpg

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
So, bees build hexagons with the apex in the vertical orientation; up and down, and flat sides on either side.
Apparently, they don't - they build round 'tubes' which. when built closely together and viewed from a human perspective, appear to be hexagons ...
LJ

Sorry for the repetition Greg - just read your post ...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously, I need to start looking more closely at my frames. I guess I actually haven't looked closely enough at foundationless frames or I might well have seen these examples in my own hives. I know that Jamie Oliver made a point in one of his videos to indicate the apexes of honeycomb are oriented vertically, and I see that my Acorn foundation is designed with vertical apexes, also. Tomorrow, I'll go digging into some stored comb I have, but it seems it will be a non-issue for the experiment I'm working on.

Thanks for the response.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>What will they do if you put them on foundation that has been turned 90° so the apex is to the right and left and the flat side is on top and bottom?

When I was experimenting with Housel Positioning, I did this many times in the center comb. The bees build it and use it just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts