Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was called to get my first swarm on Tuesday and hived them. I could not find the queen in the hive but really sure she was there with very few bees left in a tight place in a compartment of the jeep they were in and had form comb. I placed comb in box and was sure most of the bees and queen were on that comb. Went back the next evening to hall the bees home and they were gone. Does this happen often? Also I had nasonov tube on one of the frames. I had a text book removal. Any help would be appreciated. :cry:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sometimes they just dont like the new home, we put a queen excluder on the front of all swarms until they have brood then we pull it off. We also leave the nasanov with the swarm and remove it when we have brood. Have not lost one since we started using these two techniques.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanx Peacekeeper. I'll add the one technique of the queen excluder you discribed. On the next go round. I hope I get more swarm calls. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. A text book removal, but the bees left after about a week. I thought I had them and the queen for sure, but they took off. I did not have sugar water made up for them and we had some bad weather, but I thought since the honey flow was going they would stay. Better luck next time. I had some experts tell me that this justt happens sometimes without a reason.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is a nasonov tube? Never heard of it :scratch:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Put in a frame of brood. They are loathe to leave it. Would you leave a baby alone? I guess the queen excluder thing is a good idea in theory, but virgin queens are pretty skinny and can get through it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's swarm lure. Nasanov pheromone (or some man-made version of it) in a small vial. The scent is the "hey, here's our new home" scent that the fanning bees release when they move in. Most suppliers sell it, just search for lure.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for your reply libhart.........:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We also put a frame of brood in with them if we have time they normally wont leave brood, but the piece of queen excluder over the entrance has resolved most of our problems with them leaving.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's swarm lure. Nasanov pheromone (or some man-made version of it) in a small vial. The scent is the "hey, here's our new home" scent that the fanning bees release when they move in. Most suppliers sell it, just search for lure.
Nothing will make you smile bigger than seeing the bees from the swarm you just hived line up on the deck and fan. Odds go way up they are not completely unhappy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts