Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bottle my first batch of honey ever. After I bottled all my honey I found a clearish liquid in my bucket. It didn't tast like water but looked like it. My cells were all capped, what could this have been? There was only about a tablespoon in the bottom of my bucket. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Water in a bucket of honey won't taste like water, it'll taste like honey. (o:?

If it isn't water, second guess would be raw unprocessed nectar. A tablespoon wouldn't require but a few unsealed cells, or a little burr comb. But not knowing status of bloom in your area at the moment, that would be purely speculation.

However... When honey runs through the extracting equipment, tanks, lines, the bottom of your bucket, wherever... it is still liquid enough to fill every gap therein, and being heavier than water, it will force the water out of every crack and crevice. It's not uncommon to find water you didn't realize was left in the equipment upon running honey through it. The honey will eventually absorb it if found in insignificant quantities, it's not a problem unless there is a great deal of it.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Was it a frothy foam, perhaps? If your cells were all capped, I wouldn't worry too much about what that was left over in your bucket. Your honey should be alright.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts