Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a push-in queen cage in a David Burns video that looks sort of like this. I don't know what this tool is because it came in a kit.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Symbol Beige

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not sure how well they'll hold up in wind... presumably you stick the end in the front. But in theory if you are in a windy place like near mountains then the wind could be pushing at the bottle. Unless you are putting them in a top box. But I'm not saying they aren't a good tool.

There's a good need for a low cost item, and the other types of feeders can cost a lot once you get over 20 or 30 hives and need one for each colony.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It even comes preloaded with yellow jackets! Entrance feeders invite robbing. Bad idea.
Mason jars, jam jars, etc., etc., with small holes punched in the lids and inverted on frame tops. Surround with a spare hive body and put the top cover back on. GregV has mentioned many waxed paper food containers, like from juice, ice cream etc. Free!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Lately I've become a huge fan of the round rapid feeders. I've got frame feeders and Ceracel hive top feeders (which are awesome BTW) but the round rapid feeder is simple, no mess, it just sets over the hole in the inner cover and is easily filled without letting out bees and its a cinch to take away. It fits my 8 and 10 frame hives and nucs. It does not drown bees. My only wish is that they held more than two liters of syrup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts