Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What natural way is there to gently remove the bees from a honey frame/foundation ?

The other day I inspected one of my new hives and they where building honey comb inside the syrup(frame type) feeder and inside the inner lid. When I pulled the lid off, what a mess ! Scraped off the honeycomb with a putty knife into a tray with bees on it, couldn't seem to displace them. Later realized that the bees with the comb where covered in honey and crawling slowly. Naturally I separated the honeycomb from the bees and gave them a water shower with the hose. Apparently, the water didn't faze them because the next day they where gone (Not found dead). Glad that's over....

Another question is: is there a product (other than water) that can clean my goatskin gloves after I'm done messing with all the glued frames and honey ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've washed my gloves with water, with no ill effect. I've even put the through the wash after they were stung. Seemed to remove the alarm scent. Of course, I only was 'em with my other bee gear. No sense getting propolis on clothes I want to wear in public.

As for getting bees off of a frame of honey, I just move it away from the hive and wait. The bees usually clear off in time.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The best way to keep you gloves clean is to leave them in the truck. It’s a lot easier to get propolis off your hands than leather or goat skin. I rarely wear gloves anymore and rarely get stung. It makes it a lot easier to handle your bees.

One thing I haven’t done much this year is feed the bees. We have had warm weather with plenty of rain the bees have had a lot to forage on and saved me a lot of syrup.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I use a bee brush on the frames to remove the bees.
I wash my gloves in the washing machine with my other bee wear like lisascenic does. When they are nearly dry, I pull them out of the dryer, put them on and pour mineral oil on them and wring my hands until the oil is worked in. It changed the color of the gloves otherwise they are fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts