Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I put a pondless fountain in for my bees to drink out of rather than the neighbors pool and was wondering what I could treat it with? At first I just filled it up with municiple tap water, but since then the rain has encouraged it to turn green. Does anyone know what I can treat it with than won't harm the bees?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try some honey b healthy and/or leaves and organic matter. Maybe up the chlorine level too. Bees prefer smelly water. And offer to cover your neighbor's pool with a tarp for a couple days so your bees will seek another source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many years ago I used Potassium permanganate to kill off the green. It never hurt the fish or other water bugs. I don't know if it is toxic to bees or would make purple honey.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
up your chlorine levels....that will interest them...or add fish and they can poop in the water. That will intrest them too...in all seriousness...Funny thing, they like both my neighbors pool, but they like the fishpond better. I dont care either way...LOL

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that has to be the best darn bee yard I have ever seen!:D:applause:
My friends and family joke with me about it... They say, "You did all that just for a few bees?" Believe it or not, deciding to start bekeeping set off a whole new interest in landscaping. My suburban yard is no longer just a bare yard. It's full of all sorts of bee loving plants, bird baths, and I seeded the apiary half completly with clover. And all just for a few bees! :lpf:

But back on subject... Thanks, for your input. I'll talk to my neighbors with the pool to get some pointers on the ph and give that a shot.

Thanks, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts