Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer was my first season with bees. i took no honey and left supers on. The 3 hives varied in productivity. In the spring should I find a lot of empty comb to be used as resources for splits and such? I do have candy boards up top as well. I hope to do some math and know what I can take next year from those numbers.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Do you know what the average production is in your area? I have only some abandoned pasture, roadside weeds and no commercial crops. A 60 pound per colony honey potential unless you manage for production. 80 lbs per colony has been my best year and then fed ~ 40 lbs of sugar to get them up to wintering weight. If you choose not to feed that will lower your take.

If you give early feed with supplemental pollen sub you will get earlier buildup than if you wait for natural pollen to be available.

If you do a lot of splits you will sacrifice honey production. Basically you can make honey or make bees but not a lot of both. You will have to control swarming though and splitting can be part of that program. If you lose a swarm you can forget about much surplus honey from that colony.

Lot of "all depends" isn't there!;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts