Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put the jar feeder on my follower board I didn't expect the bees to cluster around it. But after recently installing a package that's what they've done. Now I can't see if the jar is empty. What should I do? Break the cluster and smoke them off the jar? Bee brush them off? Also I'm sure they're building comb above the jar and surely that won't turn out good when it reaches the top of the feeder. Suggestions?
photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Justin.

I cut a slot in the follower board and plan to feed them from the other side. ( I will get my bees next week. ) You can use the follower board to get
the angles for the feeder.

Hope the pics help.
J-Rat

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey Justin.

I cut a slot in the follower board and plan to feed them from the other side. ( I will get my bees next week. ) You can use the follower board to get
the angles for the feeder.

Hope the pics help.
J-Rat
uhhhh have u checked the vacuum in that jar ? those holes look reeeeeeeeally big....and tons of them. just lookin out yo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I built the hive in October and have made a few changes since then. The jar lid now has only five small holes. I also added a bottom board on a hinge. And added 2" gable vents at both ends of the cover.
I really like this bee forum. Lots of nice people that are willing to help us newbees to this new hobby.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see now that my design is flawed but what do you suggest I do to get to the jar to refill it? Literally all of the bees are on it, not just a few.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Justin- I'm certainly no expert, but if it were me I would just reach in along the bottom and gently pull the jar away from the cluster.

How did you put your Queen in? Is she in the cage still or did you direct release? If she's still in the cage, you can probably wait until you release her. But they can build comb quickly and will do crazy things when they get to the jar, so sooner is better than later.

Once the jar is out of the cluster you can just move it to the other side of the nest cavity, the bees will go back to the cluster on their own. Then, once they are settled into their new home and building comb (within a week), put the feeder on the other side of the follower board. The other side of the follower works well for me. I have, and you will need, a 1" hole at the bottom of my follower board that the bees go through to get to the feeder. I can access the feeder without ever opening the nest area.

Bees are so forgiving its crazy. Mine are still thriving through all my blunders.

Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts