Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, trying to help a friend out with a laying worker problem. He has two hives. Hive #2 went queen less a month ago. Hive number one is doing very well. Two weeks ago we took hive #2 pulled the honey supers off and stacked them on hive #1 to finish them up. Then we put a screen on top of that and stuck hive #2 on top of hive number one in hopes that would stop the laying workers. He still wants to try and keep hive #2 going so what would be the next course of action if this has stopped the laying workers?

My thoughts are:

1. take both hive #2 deep boxes back off hive #1 and put one deep (it already drawn out with comb and has some honey in it) back in its location. Pull some brood frames with nurse bees out of hive #1 and shack a frame or two of bees back into hive #2 and give them a new queen and feed like crazy.

or

2. Same as above but rather then give them a new queen we would make sure to give them a frame of eggs and try and let them make their own.

Once the numbers were up then we would put the second deep back on hive #2 and keep feed until they quit taking it come winter.

Good idea bad idea or is there a better idea?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Michael Bush has a spot that talks about the laying worker issue here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Something to think about on top of it all. It's getting kinda late in the year to let them to raise a queen. It could take 2 or 3 weeks of adding a frame of brood before they decide "it's time to make a queen." That's getting even later in the year and they might have already gotten rid of the drones. If that turns out to be the case, she wont get mated and all that work will be for nothing. From start to finish, you looking at about 3 weeks before she starts laying eggs, so IF they create one the first time around, she wont be laying eggs til the middle of Sept.

C2

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
With them on top of the honey supers they will probably still feel queenless. That's a big distance between them & the queen.
Adding a frame of eggs per week is about the only way. They won't except a laying queen if you install one. I think some people have used queen cells with some success, & some combine with another hive to make 1 hive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could either combine the queen-less hive with the queen-right hive or buy a queen. It's pretty late for making a new queen and she's not likely to get well mated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, So here is the run down on how things have worked out.:applause:

Last week we purchesed a new queen. On Wed. we opened up the two deep hive bodies that had been stacked on top of another hive(the good hive) with screen placed between them to try and stop the laying worker issue. Well it had almost worked. Most of the egg laying had stopped. We found very little signs of it.( A few cells with an egg on the side but only one egg per cell and not multiple eggs like before.)
Seeing as how there was still some signs of it we thought it would be a good idea to just shake the bees out and let the good ones find there way back to the hive they were stacked on. We then took both of those deep hive boxes and placed them back in there location. We took a few frames of brood and eggs (four total) and some extra bees from the good hive placing them in the old laying worker hive along with the new queen.(I guess in a way you could say we did a split.) The bees we dumped out of the laying worker hive all made their way back to one of the two hives. We did a check today and the quenn is out of her cage and all is well. They should have just enough time to fill the two deeps with the brood and honey they will need for the winter with a little feeding help.:applause:
After seeing how the screen worked between the two hives to stop the laying worker issue I plan on using that from now on at the first sign of the problem. In this case I think it would have stopped if it was truely just the screen between the two and not an inner cover as well.:doh: (inner cover not my choice)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts