Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to check my 5 hives. 2 of the hives have 2 deeps full of brood, and the 3rd hive has 1 deep full and the 2nd deep about 1/3 full. The other 2 hives are small but growing..

In january I ordered 5 new queens(thought I would requeen all hives but changed my mind) - they should be here in a couple weeks. My question is this.

Would I be better to leave the 3 larger hives alone or take one of the deep boxes(the one without the queen in it)from each hive and make a split and introduce a new queen??

Even though the queens are laying in the smaller hives I thought I would requeen these since these hives were extracted from walls late last year. I guess the reason to requeen is the quality of queen is unknown and they are not growing as fast as the others.

Any suggestions??

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It's your choice. If you want to make splits without hurting the hives too much, then just take a frame of emerging brood and a frame of open brood and a couple of frames of honey/pollen and make a small split. Shake off a couple of frames of brood comb (careful not to get the old queen) and introduce the new queens. The advantage is these hives can just build up to get through winter while the reamaining strong hives can get a harvest.

If you want to do even splits, you can do that too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Ill try an even split when the new queens show up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts