Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two former laying workers hives that have been shaken out and requeened. The queens have been accepted but has not started laying. I believe there is not enough bees left in the hives. One hive has about 2 1/2 frames of bees and the other has about 1 frame. It has been a month and the queens are still alive but not laying yet. I have battled robbing on both hives.

I have two booming hives that I could steal from if I had to.

What should I do to help thing along?

·
Registered
375 Posts
In my opinion, with hives that weak and the queens not laying, combine. Just make sure you get rid of the non-laying queens. It would really suck if they killed off your good queens.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would take some capped brood with the adhering bees from your booming hives and give each of the weak ones at least a frame; two frames if your good hives are really strong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So if you stick nurse bees from hive A into a weak hive B with a different queen it won't cause a war between the two different populations?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we put frames of eggs w/ adhering bees, frames of capped with adhering bees, or just shake bees off of brood frames into weak hives and splits. Works just fine, just make sure you dont shake or transfer your queen from one to the other.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been reading about a product called megabee. Has anyone used it and what were your impressions?

We had a thunderstorm today and I never saw so many bees all over the place around the hives a few minutes after the storm had passed. On my "booming" hives I have two deeps and 1 medium. Tomorrow I will do a though inspection to see how much they can afford to part with.

The healthy hives are going though a quart of sugar water and a inch or so of pollen patty per day. Lots of bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts