Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options do we have with queen less trapout bees?

I've got a 5 frame NUC trapping out a hive from a concrete wall. The trap out didn't have room for a 10 frame, within two feet of the hive entrance due to a downspout/gutter- and the NUC is filling up. I'm guessing that early/mid next week the 5 frame will be full of bees or very close to it after checking on it today.

It's new foundation, so the frames are covered, but not yet drawn. One frame of bait brood is capped- I put in brood that was too old for them to rear a queen it seems as there were no QC's on inspection today, after 6 days of trapout.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Since your in Fla depends on your weather there, your weather is alot nicer compared to alot of other places. Alot of beekeepers i talk to that are down in Fla go year round! Feed them, let them draw comb, order a queen!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I meant to take a camera today...

The NUC actually fits into the crook of the downspout with some support from 2x4 and 4x4's I put in. The x's representing the NUC, the flat line the eve, dots all the rain we've been having...

I'll try to take pics next visit. There was hardly room for the top cover of plywood...so doing check ups is fun- full suit just for safety, in 90+

........./
...... / roof
...../__eve___
......\\ xNx l
.......\\ xUx l
........\\ xCx l Wall
.........\\xxx l
..........l l l
..........l l

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Q=
If I were to take four frames of bees off the trap out, and 5 frames from a growing NUC elsewhere w/a queen; combined them into a 10 frame box- I'm going to have a Cat 5 cage fight and lose a lot of bees, yes?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sqkcrk- I guess my ignorance is searching for options on where to put those frames of bees from the trap out

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
No, you are not ignorant to search for options. You should always ask for help if you can't figure out what to do on your own. And my short answers are usually because I don't know what the folks asking questions already know.

I guess you could have thought about this before starting.

Is this the only hive you have? If not, put the frames of bees and brood into another hive. If it'll make you feel less anxious about doing so, put them in a box above a sheet of newspaper above a hive of bees you already have.

Don't have another hive? SOOL, I guess. But you could always make another box of some sort to put the frames of bees and brood into and let them raise their own queen.

Find the Thread where Tara has used plastic boxes from Wal-mart to build hives from. Pretty smart way to build a hive when you don't have one. Tara used file boxes, lined w/ foilfaced styrofoamed insullation board.

Looks like you have an educational experience at hand. Enjoy the learning. I hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sqkcrk- thanks for the additional info.

I've got one decent hive, a NUC and a ten frame queen less cutout with capped QC's going, plus this trap out. Had planned on the newspaper combine method for the trap out bees until/if/unless I get the queen out. Figured I'd post here for some more options. I'd be stoked to just drop frames, or shake bees into an existing hive to give it a boost, unless that is doom to those bees.

Never done that, didn't know if you could w/o causing any issues.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I don't think you'll have a "cat fight" - but there are some things you can do to make a combine go smoother. The easiest is to separate the established colony from the trap out frames with a sheet of newspaper. (newspaper combine) If you're dealing with just a few frames you can combine them directly without fear of major unpleasantness.

I did a newspaper combine of a queenless cutout and a weaker hive last week - no problems!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You could shake the bees off of the frame of brood right in front of the hive and let them crawl in and put the frame of brood in the hive w/out bees on it. I doubt that you will have any fighting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should be fine adding your trap out bees to another colony. Since they are queen-less, they have no queen pheromones to start a fight. Most of the time we put a queen-right colony out as the bait hive, as they will accept the foragers from the trap-out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pulled four frames of bees, week one.

Week two, went to pull more frames, and saw a queen in the trap out box. :D

Thank's everyone for your help and advice along the way.

No traffic in the cone for several days per the homeowner. Going back this weekend to get the box after dark.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
False alarm- still bees coming out of the wall...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts