Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I added a 3rd medium to a late start nuc, I run all 8 frame med . I didn't have enough drawn comb so I checker boarded some pf 120s they have been taking feed but aren't drawing anything out yet and are backfilling. The brood nest. What should I do? Leave them be and continue to feed, leave them be and stop feeding or should I put all the drawn comb in the middle or offto one side , move the outside frames from the bottom boxes up and put the emptys there or what ? No really sure what to do at this point this time ofyr ?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Your first problem with be the checkerboarded drawn comb in the super. The bees will fatten the drawn comb until it almost meets the pf120s and they will not draw the pf120s. It would be the same if it was wax foundation or foundationless. They would rather fatten the existing combs than to draw new ones. I would put the draw comb in the center together and the PF120s on the side.

Your next issue is to asses what they will need for winter and if there is a flow. If there is a flow, I'd leave the box and see what happens. My guess is there is a flow and that's why the brood nest is ending up backfilled. Another option is to limit access to the food (if you have holes in a jar lid, make a new lid with fewer holes if you have some other method, then perhaps feed just a little every night and if that's still an issue, feed thinner syrup in small increments every day) Feeding a little every day will keep the brood nest from getting so backfilled but if there is a dearth it will encourage them to keep raising brood. You can also steal some from the strong hives for the nuc and feed the strong hives. You can also give the nuc some emerging brood from the strong hive. This will boost the population while giving them open comb (as the brood emerges) for the queen to lay in.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We are on the tail end of a soybean flow, I only see them working on days when it reaches 85 which the last couple of weeks has only been 1-2 days a week. I notice the jar doesn't go down on those days, and days it's raining or severly overcast it gets used faster.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I finally got it taken care of its been raining since I made this post so I had time to think about option 3 . I forgot I had some drawn comb from a TBH in storage so I took 4 empty frames cut comnb out from the TBH and fastened the comb into them. And swapped them for the pf120s now the top box is full of drawn comb and 2 frames are completly capped and they are working on another one. The several days of. Rain caused them to open up the brood nest as well. So now my plan is to lea e them alone and check the weight by giving them a heft and then feed if need be. I don't want to feed anymore yet since goldenrod is starting to bloom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts