Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need some experienced beekeepers advice. We started with two hives last spring and thankfully thus far both have survived winter. We now have 8 frames full of capped sugar syrup, do we continue to feed (pollen patties and sugar syrup) or do we stop feeding and let them consume their stored syrup? Maybe we should remove the whole box and just feed from the hive body itself (we use a top feeder), I don't know. What do you think? Thanks so much for your time. We live in Northern Ca. and our almond trees and some fruit trees are starting to bloom. Thought I would throw that tid bit in. Thanks for your help...Shawna

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.Do I get rid of the sugar syrup frames stored, remove the whole box or what? The weather is still rainy so I think I should leave some food in place as there are days that they cannot get out to forage. Our thoughts and practice have been natural beekeeping.. so far it has worked very well!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If they have plenty of stores(syrup honey) then stop feeding them. Leave the frames of syrup in the hive for them to consume. The new incoming pollen will stimulate more brood rearing and the bees will consume larger amounts of that stored syrup. You will be amazed when lots of brood is being cared for and the rainy weather will not allow flight how much the bees will consume. When the almonds are done blooming how long of a dearth will your area see before the next nectar flow? The bees will need that syrup they have stored(IMO).

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I would recommend you stop feeding. No need for pollen patties or other pollen substitute either, we are in the strong early spring pollen flows, my hives are bringing in pollen nonstop when the weather permits flying, and the weather is warming.

I would say to take the box of sugar water honey, remove the two center frames, put two frames of youngest open larva in their place. Put this box on the bottom. Put the two frames you removed of honey syrup into the second box on the outside, put all remaining broodframes in the middle, and put this box on next. Add any remaining boxes on top of this or add a couple supers.

The bees will consider the bottom box the broodnest, and they don't like honey in the broodnest. They will start moving all that honey up, drawing out wax above the bulk of brood in the second box up for storage above the nest, while expanding the broodnest into the two bottom boxes. We are in the nut and fruitblooom now so nectar and pollen is flowing so the bees will take off in the above arrangement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts