Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In both the colonies I was in yesterday the top super is mostly void of honey. There may still be some wet cells and maybe on a frame or two of some small patches of capped honey. Do I need to get these supers off so the colonies do not have to manage/protect this space? One colony had several SHB If so what do I do about the frames that still have a slight amount of wetness or the ones that have some capped honey? Do I pull them and place them outside when it is warm and let the bees clean them? Is there a concern that robbing from other colonies would occur and does that matter?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In both the colonies I was in yesterday the top super is mostly void of honey. There may still be some wet cells and maybe on a frame or two of some small patches of capped honey. Do I need to get these supers off so the colonies do not have to manage/protect this space? One colony had several SHB If so what do I do about the frames that still have a slight amount of wetness or the ones that have some capped honey? Do I pull them and place them outside when it is warm and let the bees clean them? Is there a concern that robbing from other colonies would occur and does that matter?
Bump

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Some beeks who are closer to you probably need to respond. Up here we are "enjoying" winter. We are not close to having a nectar flow, which is a consideration in what to do next.

As one who has had hives slimed by SHB's, if there are few or no bees on the frames with some nectar and there are SHB's present, I would probably remove those frames, wrap them up and put them in the freezer, and replace them with frames with foundation, or foundationless if that is your MO.

Phil

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some beeks who are closer to you probably need to respond. Up here we are "enjoying" winter. We are not close to having a nectar flow, which is a consideration in what to do next.

As one who has had hives slimed by SHB's, if there are few or no bees on the frames with some nectar and there are SHB's present, I would probably remove those frames, wrap them up and put them in the freezer, and replace them with frames with foundation, or foundationless if that is your MO.

Phil
After freezing them would you reuse them for the flow since the beetles are now dead or should those frames be thrown away? Our flow is still 6 weeks out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts