Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the good lord blessed me this past weekend (along with some advice from Michael Bush) and I caught my very first swarm. I set them up yesterday and checked on them around 11:30 am today. It appeared to me that they were doing orientation flights (I could not see anyone coming in with pollen, like they are at my other hives, but I'm guessing they are getting their bearings first.)

I was hoping the some folks on the board could give me some advice as to what to do next.

Current Problems:
1. The frames are all jostled from the move and I want to get them flush
2. I have no guarantee that I have a queen
3. I do not know how much food they have

Situation:
I. They are in a single deep full of foundation with the exception of one frame that had a lot of partially cured honey and a half frame of capped honey
II. According to the old timers, our flow started last Friday, when the first Tulip Poplar blooms hit the ground
III. I do not treat, except for the occasional sugar dusting

Questions:
A. I want to straighten out the frames. Just pull the top and inner cover and get them straight. I do not want to mess with them too much (I am worried they will just swarm again if I monkey with them too much before they get started good). Is this quick inspection ok for today or maybe tomorrow?
B. Should I put food on them? Syrup and/or pollen substitute?
C. When should I go look for eggs?
D. Folks say that swarms build up comb quickly. How soon do I have to start checking to see if they need another Deep on them?

Thanks!

jones

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
straighten the frames today, put sugar water on them today, wait a few (3-4) and check syrup levels, in a week, look for eggs. if you have 7-8 frames of bees, put on another box. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Did you put 10 frames in the box? If so, leave them alone and let them settle in. There's no way 10 frames in a 10 frame box can be that skewed to make much difference; or 8 frames in an 8 frame box for that matter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frames straightened and sugar water on. Thanks for the tips. Now for the waiting...

When I took the inner cover off, bees were thick on it. I hope they have enough space.

I did notice some bees bringing in pollen, so they must be trying to make a home of it.

One wild thing was a drone that I noticed. That was a surprise. I can see of no evolutionary bonus in bringing along something that is a drain on resources during nest build up. I had assumed that they would only bring along the workers.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
best get used to surprises. you're a beekeeper now. good luck,mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts