Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive I split this spring, and the queen didnt make it.

The last couple of months I have probably added 8 more frames of brood in hopes they would hatch their own, well I must not of gotten young enough frames because they didnt.

Now the hive is really full of bees, and they have filled two supers with honey. What should I do with them this fall?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If the hive is full of bees, and you are sure it's queenless, I would spend a few bucks and order a queen right away instead of waiting to do something this fall. If you get a good mated queen in there right now they will have plenty of time to build up and prepare for winter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If your bees are need dying out then do the newspaper as the last post. You mentioned you added frames of brood so if the bees are still young and you want it to work. Find your queen. When you find her on the frame you can remove her from the frame and add that frame. She likely had laid fresh eggs on that frame.
Or you can order a queen.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What's the benefit of a newspaper combine late in the year?
The queenless bees have what - another month and a half to live?
Is it for their work storing nectar for the rest of the hive?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
What's the benefit of a newspaper combine late in the year?
Doing a combine during a dearth might actually be more of a setback than a benefit. At a time when brood rearing has tapered off, and they are trying to conserve their stores, it adds more mouths to feed and drains additional colony resources.

But if the Fall flow has started up, and you have a weak hive that might not make it through winter, it's a good candidate to combine with another hive. The combined bee population will boost nectar and pollen gathering for the balance of the season, and another benefit is an increased number of available bees during the cooler Fall weather to cover the last few cycles of brood which will be going into winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts