Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm I caught about 2 weeks ago. It is in a single 10 frame lang. I checked it today and there are about 4 maybe 5 queen cells about half way up on a frame. there were some many bees not sure if there were more cells. What should I do. Help

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Leave them. Those are supersede queen cells not swarm cells. Either your queen from the swarm got damaged or something is not right and they are raising another.

·
Registered
188 Posts
which brings up a good question, how to tell what kind it is? I always read that swarm cells will be on the bottom of frames and supercedure cells will be from the middle to top. Well this year I thought I had supercedure cells as there were queen cells up top and the hive ended up swarming.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The best way to know what kind of queen cells the bees are growing, is to see what comes of them. If they use them to replace a failing or unsuitable queen - they were supersedure; if they use them to replace a lost queen - they were emergency queen replacement; if they use them to swarm, then, of course, they were swarm cells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts