Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, not sure how many, I did a cutout. I was semi concerned they bug bombed the bees the year before so I was hesitant to eat it. I think it was probably fine but I still have no idea. Either way, I was very new and never got around to extracting it. I remember 90% of it being capped and what I can see in the bucket is. The thing is when I open it it smells like strong alcohol and honey. It's a mostly full 5 gallon and I'd hate to waste it but I just don't know.

What do I do with this? If it is mead now is it safe to consume? What would you guys do? It was stored inside in a sealed 5 gallon food grade bucket.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Years ago, not sure how many, I did a cutout. What would you guys do?.
Are the bees still alive? That’s a lot of mead. Finish the mead making process, which reads like has begin? Did you taste or smell it way back when?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the bees still alive? That’s a lot of mead. Finish the mead making process, which reads like has begin? Did you taste or smell it way back when?
When I first got it I did taste it and it was honey. The bees were alive when I got it. In fact I took so many stings I felt really sick. I had a rough night to say the least. It was quite a large colony and I was stupid enough to think I didn't need a suit or veil. After I relocated them, they either died or swarmed away or something. I was new to beekeeping and put them in a bad spot. Anyway, the honey bucket was from the living cutout and was honey before I left it for half a decade or so, still in comb and all. The bucket is quite full and you can see that honey has seeped out from the comb. I have not tried it recently, but it sure does smell like booze. I don't like alcohol but thought a friend may like it. I wanted to make sure it was safe before I gave it to someone. I don't know anything about making mead. I really don't know what to do with it. There isn't any mold or anything like that. It still looks like honey but it smells like strong alcohol.

I only have one colony currently and plan to split it soon. I have plenty of resources for it from dead outs. Giving it back to the bees isn't really an option at this point anyway though.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Years ago, not sure how many, I did a cutout. I was semi concerned they bug bombed the bees the year before so I was hesitant to eat it. I think it was probably fine but I still have no idea. Either way, I was very new and never got around to extracting it. I remember 90% of it being capped and what I can see in the bucket is. The thing is when I open it it smells like strong alcohol and honey. It's a mostly full 5 gallon and I'd hate to waste it but I just don't know.

What do I do with this? If it is mead now is it safe to consume? What would you guys do? It was stored inside in a sealed 5 gallon food grade bucket.
Semi concerned it was bug bombed years ago but now having been stored inside in a sealed food grade bucket somehow makes the potential bug spray issue a moot point?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Semi concerned it was bug bombed years ago but now having been stored inside in a sealed food grade bucket somehow makes the potential bug spray issue a moot point?
It doesn't. I'm actually not sure why I have kept it so long. I don't think its contaminated but the home owner mentioned using a bug bomb for something the year before but said it was in a different location. I don't recall the complete details. I never did trust it, that's why it sat so long. In all actuality it was probably fine. The bees were very healthy and prolific. They were also pretty well sealed in the floor joist, had to cut drywall to get to them. I suppose it needs tossed either way at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts