Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hives were swarming so I put a nuc box in a tree and caught a swarm. They are building up nicely without feeding and have built four out of five frames quick. How can I use them? Should I just hive them or keep them as a nuc? If I keep them as a nuc how do you manage them so they dont overcrowd? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mike:
I swarm is always in rapid build up mode and they blow through a NUC very quick. I would go ahead and put them in a 10 frame hive if I were you. If you do they will probably need a second Deep in 4 to 5 weeks. good luck and congrats on the new bees.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wish my nucs would draw out comb like that. They seem to be creeping along when it comes to drawing out the foundation. I have sugar syrup on them and all they want to do is focus on the frames that came with the nuc. I'm using beeswax foundation on wood frames so I don't know.

Last night, I interspersed the foundation with the drawn frames and that should really encourage the girls to draw out the foundation. We shall see.

Congratulation on your new bees and especially so since they seem to be all about drawing out the comb. Let them keep going. :applause::applause:

·
Registered
504 Posts
A swarm in a nuc is a lot different than a purchased nucleus colony. Initially the swarm has no brood to take care of and wax glands in full production. An established nuc has to divide its meager work force among all the tasks. So beekeeper1756 should not expect that kind of comb drawing and MJC417 should put the swarm in a full size box real soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts