Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives with working layers working overtime which now have 4 or 5 frames with capped drone brood. My question has to do with the offspring of these "Worker" Drones. I wonder if it is better to kill off these drones rather than allow them to contribute to the gene pool, which may lead to inferior offspring vs. drones from healthy queens?

Phil

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I wouldn't destroy this drone brood, unless you are doing so as a mite control. Considering that drones from a queen and drones from a worker are both haploid, I don't think that there is any difference. The laying workers came from a fertilized egg laid by a fertilized queen. So, again, what would the difference be if an unfertilized egg was laid by a queen or a worker.

If there is a difference someone will probably speak up.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
My thought also. More important question...what are you doing with laying workers? Is the drone brood in worker cells? I would pitch the comb if its drone cell.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had a laying worker colony that absolutely wrecked two 10 frame deeps of comb. I redistributed the drone comb to the outside of most of my hives. I was left with that same nagging question: Are drones that come from a laying worker viable stock for mating?

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is difference. The drones from this colony are weaker and smaller. A waste of resources. There was a paper somewhere on this.
I would scrape them, shake the bees out on the ground and add the box on a good hive.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
From my experience, these drones are useless eating lots of hive resources.
They are not big enough compared to the regular raised drones to compete on
a mating flight. The regular drones coming from the drone cells even buzz louder
when they fly into the hive. No good drones coming from worker cells!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts