Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a hive due to a dwindling population and I think the queen died, but mainly due to single digit cold in NC of several days and in the teens for a long while. Anyway, I had a full medium super that was for them to eat. since I lost the hive i decided to extract the honey for my use. The problem is after I did that I remembered that I treated with Apistan in Nov in the deep box below the super. Can I eat the honey, Im assuming not but what can I do with it? what the best way to feed it to bees.. I am getting a new package in April should I feed to them?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
That's what I would do. Install a nuc or package into these combs as long as you've ruled out AFB as cause of death.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't eat it myself. I would pour it in freezer bags, lay it on top of the new hive frames and cut slits on the top side with a razor blade to feed the new colony. Otherwise known as baggie feeding...I think. Easiest way to feed that I've found.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That wax comb, in my opinion is going to be contaminated as well, not just the honey. The wax comb absorbs that chemical as well. so any future honey in that comb can have traces of apistan. Id put new foundation in it. Thats why the label says to not treat with supers on.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
... but mainly due to single digit cold in NC of several days and in the teens for a long while.
I know this isn't the point of your original post, but a healthy hive can easily withstand sub-zero cold. Temps in the single digits didn't kill the hive, something else did.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes, my thoughts, too.

Probably what you meant in your original post, and I just read it wrong.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Maybe there is a market for that honey as a head lice treatment. Contact your local elementary school and inquire if they have any head lice problems. Used as a shampoo there would be the added advantage of as a scalp and skin tonic. Or am I thinking out of the box? And yes, that's a pun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts