Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started 2 nucs 6 weeks ago im pretty sure one is going to die from SHB :( is there anything I can do with the frames if so ive read how the slime isn't good for the bees. ive thought on given the drawn frames to my good hive when I put their second brood super on but afraid i'll just transfer my problem over. any help will be appreciated or even better if you live in northwest Indiana and can mentor would bee awesome

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I lost a nuc a few weeks ago to SHB. The worst of the comb went in the trash can. These were the ones that had dead capped brood and hundreds of SHB larvae. But 2 bars only had a small amount of SHB larvae and those I gave to a strong colony and they cleaned them right up. If you give some to a strong colony, just don't overwhelm them with too many that are a problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
free to kill any beetles and larva first 24-48 hrs. we just gave a new hive some to use as pre drawn comb. they cleaned it and were using it in less than 24hrs.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It appears to me that such frames attract adult beetles - forever. I used to try to save them, but now I trash them when it happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should see the feeding frenzy when you put one of those SHB wormy frames in a fire ant nest. Cleaned up in no time and ready to be put back in service.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm with DL...I double bag them and get them off property ASAP. (Thank you Waste Management... ;) ) I find it hard to believe the "stink" would ever go away. The bees may clean the minor ones up, but... uggh...it's so gross. I have brought really covered frames to chickens in the area...the love the larvae, and have a ball...but then the wax is trashed on the minor damaged ones....frame and all goes bye bye on the nastier ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks yes I meant freeze 24-48hrz(love auto correct) . If they are super nasty clean off the nasty after freezing them. My chickens loves ours post beetle infested frames. The replacement hives I bought the beetle baffles to give them a try. The beetles are attracted to the smell of honey so destroy them or not they still want to get into your hive.

I'm with DL...I double bag them and get them off property ASAP. (Thank you Waste Management... ;) ) I find it hard to believe the "stink" would ever go away. The bees may clean the minor ones up, but... uggh...it's so gross. I have brought really covered frames to chickens in the area...the love the larvae, and have a ball...but then the wax is trashed on the minor damaged ones....frame and all goes bye bye on the nastier ones.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Maybe you are correct, my comment is only based on my observations. You should consider doing a simple experiment - mark the frames in question with a crayon, and try to keep them consolidated in as few hives as possible then see if those hives have more of a beetle problem or not.

I would try it but I have already taken the unscientifically biased opinion that I should get rid of them to avoid problems.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I find it hard to believe the "stink" would ever go away. The bees may clean the minor ones up, but... uggh...it's so gross. I have brought really covered frames to chickens in the area...the love the larvae, and have a ball...but then the wax is trashed on the minor damaged ones....frame and all goes bye bye on the nastier ones.
I have done this to slimed mating nucs - just the boxes with attatche bb mind you, not even frames - hosed them off, dried in the summer sun for several days, bleached, repeat. Next year, they still have that faint aroma of road kill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts