Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a couple of my colonies didn't make it through the winter. They had been subject to robbing (with consumate dead bees) and even though I know they made it part way through, well, I gotta lotta burials to do.

Anyhow, a significant number of the frames have honey and or pollen, and, in any even, there are a lot of fully or partially drawn frames. There are also a lot of dead bees more or less stuck, head first in cells, no doubt figuring they'd go out with a smile.

What do I do to these frames? Do I dust them off and reuse them complete with the dead bees, do I scrape them clean, burn them, what?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
As long as you think they starved or died from mites or robbing or other problems such as those, I'd give them to a strong hive to clean up. They will clean them quite nicely.

If you think they died from AFB (and you didnt' say anything that would make me think they did) then I'd probably burn them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a question about this. Why did the bees starve if they had honey and pollen left? This happened to my brother’s hive last year. They just barely made it through the winter but he lost most of the bees and his queen. We ended up saving it by adding frames of capped brood and a new queen. Several of the bees were found head first in the cells but they had a full med. of capped honey left. Does it have to do with the honey location?
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'd leave it to the experts, but with robbing come a lot of dead bees (they were invaded by yellowjackets). In the winters we have here, if the colony falls below a certain size, they can't maintain temperature and freeze to death.

That's my theory, anyway.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
leadpipe ask:
Why did the bees starve if they had honey and pollen left?

tecumseh replies:
During very cold weather the cluster of bees is very tight and almost immobile. Stores seperated even by one empty frame is far enough away that the bees cannot access these provisions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts