Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing all my equipment from 10 frame deeps to 8 frame mediums and going down to 4.9mm bees. I've reused most of the wooden ware by cutting it down to size, but what can I do with my leftover deep frames and large cell comb? I probably have 100 deep frames of drawn comb. I've always heard that drawn comb is like gold, but I also know that most folks (including myself) are wary of using another person's used hive parts. Is there value in this drawn comb or am I better off melting it down?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow! You've got 2 strikes against you; going to mediums AND 4.9mm cell size. I'd probably just melt the wax down and start fresh. Make candles!

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
but what can I do with my leftover deep frames and large cell comb? I probably have 100 deep frames of drawn comb.
You could have sold nucs or single deep hives and cashed in. Would have been more then enough to buy new equipment.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
you could make nucs and sell them.
Why are you getting away from deeps?
I use all deeps and love them just wondering .
I might add I have most 4.9 cell.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I kept the two deeps that I have from the beginners kit that my wife first bought and it seems like every year I am forced to use them because I run out of equipment. They always go on the bottom board though so I can remove them in the spring.
Actually I was given a 10 frame deep that I drilled a 1 1/2 hole in the side that just sits in the yard as a swarm trap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you could make nucs and sell them.
Why are you getting away from deeps?
I use all deeps and love them just wondering .
I might add I have most 4.9 cell.
I would have made nucs if I had bees to go in them. These are all from my hives that starved/froze over the winter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kept the two deeps that I have from the beginners kit that my wife first bought and it seems like every year I am forced to use them because I run out of equipment. They always go on the bottom board though so I can remove them in the spring.
Actually I was given a 10 frame deep that I drilled a 1 1/2 hole in the side that just sits in the yard as a swarm trap.
Swarm traps...good idea. Not to get off topic too much, but what do you use for a bottom and top on your swarm trap? Also, where's the hole located, front center?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You could use Luan or thin plywood. You could use a bottom entrance if you didn't want to drill a hole in the hives. Check out the swarm trap forum, lots of good ideas.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
You could use Luan or thin plywood.
I had a patio block that was bigger then the hive so at first I put the box right on the block feeling confident that the bees wouldn't attach the frames to the patio block. The trouble was the frames were setting on the block and popped up a little leaving no bee space. So I quickly made a board from plywood with a 3/8 shim that I can use later for a inner cover.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anybody that can chime in here on the proper storage of drawn frames? Maybe he can have the option of keeping them until he has enough bees to sell nucs? Or is it just problematical to keep drawn comb that long? Could he wrap them in paper or plastic and keep them in a cool, dry place?

JC

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
833 Posts
Best way to keep drawn foundation is put in the freezer. But most folks do not have a freezer they can leave frames in year around.

I would freeze them for three days and then spray with BT and store away. For storage sit the bottom box on an upside down tele cover and put a couple of sheets of news paper between each box of combs and top off with another tele cover (a piece of plywood works also). The newspaper helps to separate the boxes if indeed a wax moth got into one of them AND helps to seal the cracks between them. Keep in a cool place. Make sure the frames are dry before storing away or they will mold.

I did this for some drawn shallows that were forgotten for 20 years in my Moms garage.

·
Super Moderator
11,145 Posts
The 'BT' that G3farms referred to is Bacillus thuringiensis var. aizawai. Bt comes in several varieties, but it is the 'aizawai' variety that is effective against wax moths.

One online source is here:
http://www.hidhut.com/xentari-p-31.html

The same seller also offers that Xentari package on Amazon, at $10 more, but shipping is included.

Other varieties of Bt target different pests, such variety israelensis controlling mosquito larva.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts