Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the mountaincamp method. the bees are doing good but now i have dry sugar on the bottom boards which i have cleared of dead bees and sugar. sugar between alot of the frames and sugar still on top of the frames. do you finially just open up all the hives and clean out all the extra sugar? I know to pull it off the tops but do you clean out the stuff between the frames. I dont know if the sugar fell between the frames or if the bees put it there. i have started putting in a little 1-1 and they were bringing in pollen today.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Personally, I clean it off the top bars and off the bottom board. Anything in the comb that has either fallen or was placed there by the bees, I leave.

Remember to bag this up, and not scrape it off onto the ground. Ant problems could arise otherwise.

Anticipating the next question: No. No, I don't reuse the sugar in syrup later on in the year. Granulated sugar is cheap insurance for emergency feeding and moisture problems. I occasionally find "yellow streaks" in the sugar and realize that reusing the sugar could be a good vector for Nosema. Just throw it away. It's cheap; it's done it's job.

DS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts