Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into my two hives over the weekend and both seem to have the same problem. Too much honey and a heck of a lot of bees. So much honey and open nectar that I don't think there is much room to lay in. The problem I have is that most of this is honey that was made from sugar water I fed last fall. I also have a couple of gallons of fugmlin (sp) on each hive right now.

So as I see it my options are as follows:
1. Stop feeding when they go through the treated syrup and hope they eat their way through some of it before the flow starts.
2. Extract it ASAP and hold it until Fall and then feed it back to them.
3. Wait a few weeks and see.

I would estimate each hive has 70-80 lbs of capped honey and probably 18-22medium frames of bees.

What do you think?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would tend to believe that overwintered honey may not taste optimum.

My mentor once told me that if you had older honey frames to add a shallow deep or two to accommodate them and scratch (put small holes) in the caps. The bees will replace the old stuff with new in a matter of time. Giving it a much needed refresh, however not with fumigilin or foulbrood treatments. Not sure how long the chemical effects last when converted to honey. I'd stop feeding the syrup if all the extra is available.

Or an easier route.

Put some pollen granules into a dry hive top feeder with some sugar. Make them start thinking about brood and feeding to help burn up the old stores.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the question is: do you have enough bees? the size of the cluster determines if you would be better advised to "checkerboard" (do a search at the top of the page) or a split. i would suggest that you are at the cusp or possibly too late to prevent a swarm. at the least, do some research, and prepare a swarm trap. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Do you have any empty drawn comb? Any frames w/foundation? At minimum I would help them create some space. Pull a few of the "honey frames" and stick them in the freezer for later use and add either drawn comb or foundation for them to utilize or draw to their pleasure. I would also put out a swarm trap just in case they are tired of being packed out. On the outside chance you could puchase a mated queen a split would help create some space and give you another hive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree with freezing it for later use. I'm sure you'll have a hive or two needing it later in the year. I'd replace with empty frames with or without drawn wax.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The problem I have is that most of this is honey that was made from sugar water I fed last fall :lookout:. I also have a couple of gallons :eek: of fugmlin (sp) on each hive right now.
I would pull the fumi. Then I would pull off a super full of this sugar syrup honey (somebody will object to me calling it honey while munching on a granola bar made with honey :lookout:) from each of them. Of course the bees inneed to be removed from the frames in the super somehow.

Then I would set out a frame or three every day for them to rob out, thereby creating a little mini nectar flow that they will hopefully use to raise new bees on. Make sure you pull the frames in once they are clean or they will chew them to bits.

Finally, after a week or two of this, I'd give them back the now empty combs to fill up with good honey (the kind that comes from flowers).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I don't have any empty frames with comb, yet. I think I will pull several frames from both hives and alternate the remander with frames with foundation. Then I can either freeze the pulled frames and feed them back during the summer or next winter if they are short.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you are going into spring now, then get the excess honey out of the box now.
What to do with it.... You are in virginia .... How about moonshine ?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Put the boxes of honey below the cluster. Put a box of foundation above the cluster.

Bees want the honey stores above the cluster. They will want to move the honey, which will require them to draw out the foundation.

Between using the honey to produce wax and producing brood, the honey stores should diminish rapidly. (Assuming you don't keep pouring the feed to them like you say you are doing now.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts