Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deep box stuffed full of honey and comb and a bucket with 3 inches of honey in it from a cutout I did. The bees were in a building. What can I do w/ the honey? I have been open feeding it to the bees, should I continue? My goal is that they will take the impurities out of it and put it in the honey supers. Any suggestions? Should I burn it or try to feed it to them?

Kingfisher

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I feed it ONLY to the colony that it came from. Reason being that as often as not (and you can't really tell) the property owner already tried a can of Raid into the entrance last year, then when it didn't work called you to remove them this year :doh:. I don't worry so much about the disease, as what's in that comb and honey. So I can't in good conscience use it for humans, and I don't want to risk it on another colony, so I sometimes dilute it a bit and feed it to them while they re-build from the cutout. If I know it was sprayed, I trash the honey.

Usually, for peace of mind, I give the colony a fresh start without most of their dark comb and honey (just brood).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts