Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives and queen problems with both.

I posted my problem with my Batonn Rogue queen or lack of one on another post.

The other hive I have was a split last year and added Navasota Beeweaver queen. I usually work with jeans and long sleeve shirt with cheap head cover and dental work gloves. When I went into this hive in February (Houston area) I got eat up since these bees are extremely aggressive. I had them follow me 70 yards to the house all trying to sting since I opened the hive.
I have had to go to the above plus heavy coveralls and a cap to keep the bee head cover from touching my skin, From nitril gloves, to the cheap leather gloves, then to my old old heavy duty gloves from the 1970's to keep them from stinging thru thru every thing. Gloves and pants are full of stingers and me too when the veil touches me. lol

It is not just a one time problem because each time I go into this have they come out wanting to sting. little smoke or lots
It is too hot in Houston to have to dress this warm.

I was gone again and back Wednesday when checking the hives and looks like this hive had swarmed. Bees still pissed but not nearly as many went home with me trying to atack.
They had swarmed but where the Baton Rouge box had a near full super this box had very little honey and the med super had almost nothing. Not much brood but not what I should. I found two frames with qc's and was amazed to find two different queen cells being opened from inside at the same time. Left one frame to hatch and dropped the other opening qc into a nuc with some bees and the usual. Just in case as a queen in hand...

Nuc was working like normal the next day.

1. What are the chances of these two queens having a better attitude than their mother? Personally I like the Baton Rogue queen as she has out done the BW queen by 30-40 percent. I did get the BW queen just to jump start the split in late July abut dearth time.
I was going to use the nuc with the Baton Rogue queen to requeen but need to keep her to fig out what the BR hive will do. They are still a lot calmer than this hive and they started working earlier than the Beeweaver box.

1 Do you think?
Wait and see what the Beeweaver hive and nuc will do?

2Build another nuc and start another BR queen so I can requeen with what appears for me to be a lot better match since the work earlier and harder than the BWeavers.

3.Side question: Will old 1 to 1 sugar mix last from last fall or go bad?

I like two hives as a hobby and safety net and a spare nuc for back up.

I have a good friend that is trying to double his hives this year and will take any extra boxes so I have an outlet for spare nucs if needed. I had bees from the late 50's to 1992 when beekeeping was simple if you left the bees alone a robbed them once a year.
I want beekeeping to be fun not work.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I think as long as you are using open mated queens, you may continue to have "hot" hives because of your exposure to local AHB genetics.

The daughter queens from the BW queen will have all of her genetics (plus the genetics from one of the drones she mated with). The daughter queens will have the same genetic heritage, more or less, as the present workers in the hive.

The granddaughters of the BW queen (i.e. the future workers in the new colony) will get half of their genetic heritage from the BW queen's daughter and half from whatever local drones get lucky.

I have often wondered how the BW-queen operations, located in what looks to me to be smack in the middle of AHB territory, manage to avoid creating queens with AHB heritage.

If you want calmer hives, you may need to only use purchased queens, from non-AHB locations. And then make sure the colonies stay healthy and strong enough to avoid being targets of usurpation.

Nancy

·
Registered
304 Posts
I live down the road from you in Wharton I had used bw queens in the past they were never bad but they did swarm and the daughters of were satans spawn. I use borntraeger for my queens now. He’s an Amish guy I believe from beeville TX. His queens are usually good and gentle. I found him from an ad in bee journal. I can get you his number if your interested in trying him.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You are in middle off AHB territory so if you want calmer bees then you should not let them open mate. BW queens are hotter than northern queens but they sure know how to survive and bring honey crop. All my queens so far are from my original BW queen but they don't follow me beyond 10-20 feet. I can work them with nitril gloves early spring before population explode. I would not put up with bees that follow me. I am adding an italian queen this year and all my future queens will be reared from italian stock until I equalize genetics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For me bee keeping is a hobby and don’t want it to interfere with my kids playing in the backyard I will replace any hostile queen with a more gentle one if it start attacking or chasing me any distance at. Most of my hive I can take a quick look inside without any smoke.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom I could too last year. And the BR box is still ok.

Nancy- If you look at the map Bee Weaver and R Weaver are cousins that split family land so you have X number of hives on both sides of the fence and probably more around the immediate area so there are lots of Weaver/Buckfest drones in the area.

I also had the same funny thing that you did last year. I looked at a ball of bees at the entrance and there was a big yellow queen trying to get into my hive. Italian? but she was a lot bigger been than my smaller darker ones.

It is not fun now. plus I have grand kids around some so I am not sure the split will be good from the BW hive though they are working like crazy. It is fun to play.

Knock on wood but I have yet to see any SHB around this spring. I had lots last year.

I have a buddy on the other side of Houston that will take any bees that I do not want. He has 25? hives and wants to get busy so he agreed to take any extra boxes.

AMK can you post up the #? Thanks all. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts